Doughnut (also spelt as donut) is a fried sweet soft snack made from flour, usually prepared with yeast. It can be eaten as a breakfast or snack or as supper. Doughnut comes as fast food that can be eaten at any time and it is very delicious. It can also be prepared in different ways to make the flavour lovely. It is a source of carbohydrate and can supply the energy needed for daily activities.
Tools: there are some kitchen utensils you need to make pancakes:
A Cup or glass
A heavy iron pot
A Cookie cutter
2½ spoonfuls of dry yeast
2 spoonfuls of warm water
½ teaspoonfuls of sugar
3 – 4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of milk
3 – 4 egg yolks
1 ounce of unsalted butter
2 spoonfuls of sugar
Recipe for Doughnut
- Mix 1 to 3 above (2½ spoonfuls of dry yeast, 2 spoonfuls of warm water and ½ teaspoonful of sugar) in a big glass or bowl. Leave for about 10 minutes for it to rise. It must foam to indicate that the yeast is good.
- Prepare the dough by mixing the milk, butter, egg yolk, sugar and the flour and then add the mixture of step 1 above into it. Mix in an electric mixer or mix with hand until the dough is blended and tacky.
- Leave it for about 90 minutes or 2 hours for it to rise. (Some people will cut the dough before leaving it to rise but I advise it is better to let it rise before cutting the doughnuts out and then go straight to frying them.
- Beat down the dough to about ½ inch thickness. Then cut the dough into small doughnut shapes using a 3 inches cookie cutter. It will give you rings and the holes will be cut out. If you prefer filled doughnuts, do not cut the holes.
- Frying the dough: heat oil in a heavy iron pot to about 350F – 375F. Put the dough into the heated oil. You can put as many as the pot can contain but do not overfill the pot because the dough will still rise. Turn the balls or the rings after 2-3 minutes when it has turned golden.
- Remove the doughnuts after they are fried and put them into a rack to drain the oil. After they are cool roll them in sugar or glaze them.
Types of Doughnuts
- There are caked doughnuts (made with baking powder instead of yeast)
- Yeast or leavened doughnut which is the very common type.
Also, doughnuts come in different shapes.
- The ring doughnuts are shaped like a ring. It has a hole at the centre.
- Doughnut holes are small doughnuts that have no holes inside them. They are usually the pieces cut out from the centre of ring doughnuts. They are rounded.
- Filled doughnuts are doughnuts in which no holes are cut out from the centre.
- Fritter doughnuts are made by mixing the dough with pieces of meat, seafood such as fish, fruit and vegetables.
Eating the Doughnuts
Doughnuts can be eaten as snacks at any time of the day. It can also be eaten as a meal, breakfast, lunch or supper. It can be eaten as a dessert also.
You can get some pretty nice doughnut from our sister company via this link